There are all kinds of diets out there – some good, some bad – but perhaps no better diet for longevity and prevent disease than alkaline diet. Not just take my word for it.
A 2012 review published in the Journal of Environmental Health found that balance body pH through an alkaline diet can be useful in reducing morbidity and mortality of many diseases and chronic conditions – such as hypertension, diabetes, arthritis, vitamin D deficiency and low bone density, just to name a few. ( 1 )
How alkaline diets work? Research shows that diets consisting of highly alkaline foods – fresh vegetables, fruits and sources unprocessed plant-based protein, for example – result in a pH level the urine more alkaline, which helps protect healthy cells and levels of minerals essential balance. ( 2 ) alkaline diets (also known as diet alkaline ash) have been shown to help prevent the formation of plaque in blood vessels, allow calcium to build up in the urine , prevent kidney stones, build stronger bones, reduce wear or muscle spasms, and more.
What is an alkaline diet?
an alkaline diet is one that helps balance the pH level in the body fluids, including blood and urine. Its pH is partially determined by the mineral density of the food you eat. All living organisms and life forms on earth depend on maintaining proper pH levels, and often said that disease and disorder can not take root in a body that has a balanced pH.
Although some experts could not fully agree with this statement, almost everyone agrees that human life requires a very tightly controlled blood of about 7.365 to 7.4 pH level. As Forbes Magazine says, “Our bodies go to extraordinary measures to maintain pH levels of security.” ( 3 ) The pH can range from 7.35 to 7.45 depending on the time of day, your diet, what the last meal and the last time I went to the bathroom. ( 4 ) If you develop Electrolyte imbalances and often consume too many acidic foods, changing the pH level of the body can result in greater “ acidosis . “
wonders what exactly” pH level “even the media?
what we call pH is short for potential of hydrogen. It is a measure of acidity or alkalinity of the fluids and tissues of our body. It is measured on a scale of 0 to 14. The more acidic solution is lower pH. The more alkaline, the higher the number. A pH of about 7 is considered neutral, but since the optimal human body tends to be around 7.4, we consider the healthier to be one that is slightly alkaline pH, and pH levels vary throughout the body , with the more acidic stomach region be.
Even very small changes in the pH level of different organisms can cause big problems. For example, due to environmental concerns, such as increased deposition of CO2, ocean pH has decreased from 8.2 to 8.1 and various forms of life that live in the ocean have suffered a lot. The pH level is also crucial for growing plants, and therefore greatly affects the mineral content of the foods we eat. The minerals in the ocean, soil and the human body are used as buffers to maintain optimal levels of pH, so that when the acidity increases, minerals fall.
how an alkaline diet works
Here is some background on the acid / alkalinity in the human diet, along with key points on how the alkaline diets can be beneficial:
- researchers believe that when it comes to the total acid load of the human diet, “there have been considerable changes in hunter civilizations meet up I presented.” after the agricultural revolution and industrialization then the mass of our food supply in the past 200 years, the food we eat has significantly less potassium, magnesium and of chloride, along with more sodium, diets compared to the past.
- Normally, the kidneys maintain our electrolyte levels (the calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium). When we are exposed to excessively acidic substances, these electrolytes are used to combat heartburn.
- According to Journal of Environmental Health review mentioned above, the ratio of potassium to sodium in most people Diets have changed dramatically. Potassium is used to outnumber sodium by 10: 1, but now the ratio has been reduced to 1: 3. People who eat a “standard American diet” now consume three times as much sodium as potassium on average!
- Many children and adults today consume diet high in sodium that is very low in not only magnesium and potassium, but also antioxidants, fiber and essential vitamins. Besides that, the typical Western diet is high in refined fats, simple sugars, sodium and chloride.
- All these changes in the human diet, have led to increased “metabolic acidosis.” In other words, the pH levels of the bodies of many people are no longer optimal. Besides this, many people are suffering because of low nutrient intake and problems such as potassium and magnesium deficiency .
- This accelerates the aging process, causes the gradual loss of organ function and degenerating tissue and bone mass. The high degree of acidity force our bodies to steal the minerals from the bones, cells, organs and tissues.
Benefits alkaline diet
1. Protects bone density and muscle mass
Ingestion minerals plays an important role in the development and maintenance of bone structures. ( 5 ) Research shows that fruits and vegetables more alkalizing someone eats, the best protection that the person might have to experience decreased bone strength and muscle loss as they age, known as sarcopenia .
An alkaline diet can help balance ratios minerals that are important for bone formation and maintaining lean muscle mass, such as calcium, magnesium and phosphate. alkaline diet can also help improve the production of growth hormones and absorption of vitamin D, which also protects the bones, besides alleviating many other chronic diseases.
2. Reduce the risk of hypertension and stroke
One of the anti-aging effects of an alkaline diet is that it reduces inflammation and causes an increase in the production of growth hormone. This has been shown to improve cardiovascular health, health protection and supply address common problems such as high cholesterol, hypertension ( high blood pressure ), kidney stones , stroke and even memory loss.
3. Reduces pain and chronic inflammation
Studies have found a connection between an alkaline diet and reduced levels of chronic pain. Chronic acidosis has been found to contribute to chronic back pain, headaches, muscle spasms , menstrual symptoms, inflammation and joint pain.
In a study conducted by the Society of minerals and trace elements in Germany found that when patients with chronic back pain were given alkaline supplement a day for four weeks, 76 of 82 patients reported a significant decrease in pain as measured by the “Arhus low back rating scale of pain.” ( 6 )
4. increase the absorption of vitamin and prevents magnesium deficiency
increased magnesium for function of hundreds of required body enzyme systems and processes. Many people are deficient in magnesium and as a result experience complications of the heart, muscle aches, headaches, sleep problems and anxiety. Available is also required to activate magnesium vitamin D and prevent Vitamin D deficiency , , which is important for the immune and endocrine function in general.
5. Helps improve immune function and protection against cancer
When cells lack sufficient minerals to properly dispose of the waste or fully oxygenate the body , the whole body suffers. vitamin absorption is compromised by the loss of minerals, while toxins and pathogens accumulate in the body and weaken the immune system.
Research published in British Journal of Radiology showed that the death of cancer cells ( apoptosis ) was more likely to occur in an alkaline body. ( 7 ) Cancer prevention is believed to be associated with an alkaline pH change due to a change in electrical charges and release components basic proteins. Alkalinity can help reduce inflammation and the risk of diseases such as cancer -. In addition to an alkaline diet it has been shown to be more beneficial for some chemotherapeutic agents which require a higher pH to work properly
6. It can help maintain a healthy weight
Limit consumption of acid-forming foods and eat more alkaline forming foods, you can protect your body from obesity decreasing leptin levels and inflammation, which affects their hunger and ability to burn fat. Since alkaline forming foods are anti-inflammatory foods , consuming an alkaline diet gives your body a chance to reach normal levels of leptin and feel satisfied eating many calories you really need.
How to eat an alkaline diet
Here are some key tips for tracking an alkaline diet:
Whenever possible, try buy organic alkaline foods. Experts believe that an important consideration in regards to the consumption of an alkaline diet is to become informed about what type of soil that production was cultivated – because fruits and vegetables grown in organic soil, ore high density tend to be more alkalizing. Research shows that the type of soil that plants are grown in can significantly influence their vitamin and mineral content, which means that not all “alkaline foods” are equal.
The ideal soil pH for the best overall availability of essential nutrients in plants is between 6 and 7. Acidic soils below pH 6 have been reduced calcium and magnesium, and soil above pH 7 may result in chemically available iron, manganese, copper and zinc. The soil is well turn organically sustained and exposed to the wildlife / livestock grazing life it tends to be the healthiest.
If you are curious to know your pH level before implementing the tips below, you can evaluate the pH strips by purchase at your local health food store or pharmacy. You can measure the pH of saliva or urine. His second urination in the morning will give the best results. This is to compare the colors of the test strip to a chart that comes with the kit test strips. During the day, the best time to test your pH is an hour before a meal and two hours after a meal. If you test your saliva, you want to try to stay between 6.8 and 7.2
best alkaline foods :.
- fresh fruits and vegetables promote more alkalinity. Some of the best options include mushrooms, citrus, dates, raisins, spinach, grapefruit, tomato, avocado, black summer radish, alfalfa, barley grass, cucumber, kale, jicama, wheatgrass, broccoli, oregano, garlic , ginger, green beans, endive, cabbage, celery, red beet, watermelon, figs and ripe bananas
- all raw foods :. Ideally, try to consume a good part of its oil production. raw fruits and vegetables are said to be biogenic or “giver of life.” cook food alkalizing minerals depleted. Increase the intake of raw foods, and try to extract the juice or lightly steamed fruits and vegetables
- Vegetable proteins: .. Almonds, white beans, lima beans and most beans are good choices
- alkaline water : alkaline water has a pH of 9 to 11. distilled water is fine to drink. The water filtered through a reverse osmosis filter is slightly acidic, but still a much better option than water tap or purified bottled water. Adding pH drops, lemon or lime, or sodium bicarbonate to water can also increases alkalinity
- Green drinks :. The drinks based on vegetables and herbs in powder form are loaded with food and alkaline chlorophyll formation. chlorophyll is structurally similar to our own blood and helps alkalize the blood
Anti-Alkaline foods and habits :.
The foods that contribute to heartburn are:
- sodium-rich foods: Processed foods contain tons of sodium chloride – table salt – which constricts blood vessels and creates acidity.
- conventional cuts and meats
- processed grains (such as corn flakes)
- drinks caffeine and alcohol
- oats and whole wheat products: All whole grains or create acidity in the body. Americans eat most of their share of plant foods as corn or wheat processing
- Milk :. calcium-rich dairy products cause some of the highest rates of osteoporosis. That’s because they create acidity in the body! When the blood becomes too acidic, calcium (more alkaline substance) of the bones to try to balance the pH level are extracted. So the best way to preventing osteoporosis is to eat a lot of vegetables alkaline greens!
- peanuts and nuts
- pasta, rice, bread and packaged grains
What other habits can cause heartburn in body? The biggest offenders include:
- Alcohol and drug use
- High consumption of caffeine
- overuse of antibiotics
- artificial [19459011sweeteners]
- chronic stress
- decreased levels of nutrients in food because industrial agriculture
- low levels of fiber in the diet
- lack of exercise
- excess meat from animals in the diet (from sources not grass-fed)
- excess hormone production of food, health products and beauty, and plastics
- exposure to chemicals and radiation housecleaning, building materials, computers, cell phones and microwaves
- food dyes and preservatives
- excessive exercise
- pesticides and herbicides
- poor chewing and eating habits
- processed foods and refined
- shallow breathing
vs. alkaline diet Paleo diet
- The Paleo diet and the alkaline diet have many things in common and many of the same benefits, such as lower risk of nutrient deficiencies, reduced levels of inflammation, better digestion, weight loss or control, and so on.
- Some things the two have in common include eliminating added sugars, reduce the intake of omega-6 pro-inflammatory fatty acids , removing the beans and processed carbohydrates, reduce or eliminate the consumption of dairy / milk, and increased intake of fruits and vegetables.
- However, there are several important things to consider if you follow the Paleo diet. The Paleo diet eliminates all dairy products, including yogurt and kefir, which can be valuable sources of probiotics and minerals for many people – besides the Paleo diet does not always emphasize in the consumption of organic food or meat / free range grass-fed (and in limited quantities of moderation /).
- In addition, the Paleo diet tends to include a lot of beef, pork and seafood, which have their own drawbacks.
- Eating too much animal protein sources in general can really contribute to acidity, alkalinity. Beef, chicken, sausage, pork and seafood can contribute to the accumulation of sulfuric acid in the blood as amino acids decompose. Try to get the best products of animal origin quality that can, and vary their consumption of protein foods to balance your pH level best.
alkaline diet recipes
here are some simple and delicious to include more alkaline foods in your diet ways:
Precautions about an alkaline diet
certain foods in the “list very acid “may surprise you, such as eggs and nuts. These can be of acidity in the body, but do not let that scare you away from eating them. They contain a lot of other health benefits as antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids , which still makes them valuable.
The conclusion is that a healthy balance is what we are shooting for. As regards the pH, it may become too alkaline, and have some acidic foods is both expected healthy. Our problem is more a matter of not taking sufficient promoting alkaline foods instead of taking in too many acids healthy, whole foods. Eat a variety of real, whole foods (especially vegetables and fruits) and limit consumption of packaged items, and you’ll be on your way.
Final Thoughts on an alkaline diet
- an alkaline diet is one that includes whole foods that have positive effects on pH levels of the blood and urine.
- benefits of an alkaline diet can include better heart health, stronger bones, reduced pain and reversal of nutrient deficiencies.
- Foods that are emphasized as part of an alkaline diet include whole fruits and vegetables, raw food, green juices, beans and nuts.
- foods that are acidic and therefore limited in an alkaline diet include high-sodium foods, processed grains, too much meat and animal protein, added sugars, and conventional milk.